Message from the Chief
- Make sure your Christmas tree is fresh. Shedding needles is a sign
- Make sure artificial trees are flame-retardant.
- NEVER smoke around the tree or flammable decorations.
- Place trees away from direct sources of heat.
- NEVER place a tree so that it blocks an exit.
- Only buy electric lights that are approved by a national testing lab.
- NEVER decorate metal trees with electric lights.
- Always unplug lights before going to bed.
- NEVER run electrical cords through doorways and under rugs.
- Keep candles in sturdy holders and never place them near combustibles, such as curtains.
- Avoid hanging stockings near an open flame.
- NEVER burn paper in a fireplace. This is a major cause of chimney fires.
Are you ready for a fire?
Following these basic safety tips every day will ensure your family’s safety all year round.
- Keep fire extinguishers handy
- Design a fire escape plan
- Learn first aid for burns
- Keep matches away from children
- Practice home fire drills
- Check smoke detectors regularly
- NEVER smoke in bed
- Know two exits from every room
- Teach STOP, DROP and ROLL
- Post emergency numbers by every phone
- Store flammable liquids properly
- Set your hot water heater to 120 degrees F
- Crawl low in smoke
- Replace damaged electrical cords
Plan Your Escape Route
- Determine at least two ways to escape from every room in your home.
- If you must use an escape ladder, be sure everyone knows how to use it.
- Select a location outside your home where everyone would meet after escaping.
- Practice your escape plan at least twice a year.
- Once you are out, stay out!
- If you see smoke in your first escape route, use your second way out. If you must exit through smoke, crawl low under the smoke to escape.
- If you are escaping through a closed door, feel the door before opening it. If it is hot, use your second way out.